User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

On the weekend we decided to go and have a look at the caves down at Jenolan. We took a tour through the Chifley cave. Here are some photos from that tour.

 

Write comment (0 Comments)

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Of all the work I've been doing on the Land Rover, this has probably been the most satisfying work I've done with it.

Starting from this. I ended up taking the floors out so I could replace the front output seal on the transfer case that I discovered here. With the seal replaced I decided it was a very opportune time to borrow a pressure washer and get some of the gunk off the gearbox and the top of the chassis.

Here we are after a little cleaning. The biggest, most obvious improvement is on the transmission housing which being aluminium there is no paint on it which means it looks nice and shiny after the gunk has been removed.

 

Cheers,

Rex

Write comment (0 Comments)

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Back here I realised that the transmission or hand brake needed some work. The rear oil seal of the transfer case had seemed to be leaking which has covered the whole transmission brake assembly with oil. This then picked up all sorts of grit and junk which has now become a greasy nasty mess. This clearly has not helped the effectiveness of the brake.

Here we can see a bit better. Here I have removed the output flange and the brake shoes have been exposed better.

Here is the backplate and associated parts ready for a run through the parts washer.

This is the output gear for the speedo. It is just a friction fit on the output shaft. But I guess there isn't much load on it so it seems to work well enough.

Here I am, putting oil back in. The backplate looks much nicer now. The adjuster had been loose. For so long in fact that the threads on the bolts for holding it on had been eroded. This will need to be replaced before the brakes can go back on. I can come back and put the parts on the backplate later so I'll wait up until I need to get some other parts to save on shipping.

Unfortunately it wasn't long before I spotted this. It seems that the seal on the front output shaft is failed as well. So that will have to be replaced also.

Well that's all I got to so keep an eye out for more work getting done here on the Land Rover.

 

Cheers,

Rex

Write comment (0 Comments)

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Sometimes you need to let go of some things to clear up room. Not just physical room, but also in your head. If you are anything like me, then sooner or later you will end up with a house full of projects that are finished, sorta work or just never really got finished. And sooner or later this accumulation of ideas and tings will grow to restrictive proportions. Eventually you can spend your day going from one thing to the next, thinking about what you still need to do with it and how to do it. Then all of a sudden you've just spent al whole day. Usually quite enjoyably, but definately not productively.

 

So to combat this I try to get stuff finished or leave it in a state where it is really just a collection of parts for the next project. This way I can treat the "unfinished" projects as just temporary thing, without them cluttering up my life too much.

 

One of the projects that I've had kicking around for a little while are my CNC machines. I've got the mill to a point where the table can be driven, apparently with some accuracy. And the spindle can be made to run. It could make chips now. However I've had not use for these machines. The repeatability of CNC has not been needed for anything I've been doing and a manual machine can handle bigger pieces than these CNC's can. So, with a few bigger projects on the horizon, I've decided to move these machines on. I would certainly like to see them move on to someone who will be able to get something out of them, either by using them or pulling them apart or looking at how they've been set up.

So here is a couple of pictures of the setup as it stands, followed by links to all of the posts I've made in the past about these machines.

 https://buildandfix.info/index.php/152-progress-on-cncs

https://buildandfix.info/index.php/147-more-cnc-parts-coming

https://buildandfix.info/index.php/145-x-axis-progress

https://buildandfix.info/index.php/100-the-mill-moves-again

https://buildandfix.info/index.php/79-cnc-mill-moves-with-evidence

https://buildandfix.info/index.php/78-dont-let-fear-stop-you

https://buildandfix.info/index.php/76-the-lathe-still-works

https://buildandfix.info/index.php/29-trying-to-get-fan

https://buildandfix.info/index.php/21-milling-madness

 

If you are interested, or know anyone who is interested or even just have some questions; Contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Cheers,

Rex

Write comment (0 Comments)