So I have finally got everything in place to use my CNC Lathe. To test it I ran it in manual mode. I stuck with the default settings of 80 mm/min, 0.25mm X incremental feed & 0.1mm Z incremental feed. I had a play with the spindle speed just to see what would give the best finish. There didn't seem to be much difference but I was just using a pretty soft piece of some kind of plastic.
I shot a video of me machining this piece with my phone sitting on top of the safety shield. During the video you can hear the different pitches as I adjust the speed of the motor to see if that would change the finish. Watching the video and also while using the machine there is a lot of backlash evident in the Z axis so I will try to work out what is causing that and hopefully remedy it.
With this now working I should be able to power the spindle for the mill from the accessory port on the control box for the lathe. This will give me a chance to fully test and even start using it to make parts.
I have the manuals for this lathe so I will probably put together a program that will allow me to turn down the Delrin blanks so I can mount the securely in the better chuck. But we'll see about that.
The Lathe still works
- Written by Rex ORegan-2
Comments powered by CComment