I've been needing to get this axle for the land rover finished. This has been one of my priorities after getting back from my voyage. The first thing to do was get the workbench cleared off:

 

With a space to actually it was time to go and test my media blaster. This is just a simple one with glass beads. Here is a sample of what I started with:

I was beyond unimpressed with this so I forgot to take a photo of it finished. I think that with steel parts that I should have just used sand, which being a more aggressive media would have had a bigger impact. In the end I finished off this part with a wire wheel in my pneumatic drill which has been working quite well for cleaning up these parts.

 

Unfortunately I didn't get any photos of these parts after cleaning them up with the wire wheel. You'll just have to take my word for it that they were much cleaner.

Here is that housing after getting a coat of paint.

 

After getting this far with the housing I decided it would be best to get the next biggest piece cleaned up. This was the main axle tube. This is what it looked like before I started.

After about an hour I'd run out of puff for that day and decided to pack up. This is what it looked like by then.

A marked, but nowhere near what I wanted it to be before I put any more paint on it.

 

That's all for now. I've been really pushing to get this finished before it gets too cold so I can enjoy it without freezing too badly so there will be a fair bit of progress coming up.

Cheers,

Rex